Saturday, March 15, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jonathan!

I was reading some old blog posts recently and I came across this post that I wrote for Jonathan's birthday two years ago. As I was reading it, I found that it was even more true now so I thought I'd post it again.

***********
My brother, Jonathan, is what you might call the “cool” brother. Seth is getting better in his old age, but Jonathan still outranks him in coolness. Growing up, it was Jonathan who always got me in trouble, but I didn’t mind so much because he was just so much fun! He was the one that would dig tunnels under the garage with me and let me play with his Transformers. He had these neat action figures that had a small space ship thing and we’d try rig up a way for the ship “fly”. I think we used some of Mom’s leftover yarn as line for it to glide on and it never really worked that well, but still, it was amazing!

Even when he was a teenager and always going out with his friends, he made me feel like I wasn’t the annoying little sister tagging along. I almost thought I was cool just like my big brother. His favorite football team was (and is) the 49ers so, of course, that was my favorite team, too. I really didn’t understand football and watching a game bored me to death, but I was a 49ers fan because Jonathan was and I wanted to be just like him.

Like every brother and sister we didn’t always get along so great, but now somehow we’ve ended up as friends. We live about a million miles away from each other and we don’t play with little action figures anymore, but as I watch him live and work and care for Carrie and love her and try to follow where God wants him to go and not be afraid of what anyone thinks of him or what he has to say, I am amazed that he is my brother and I’m so proud to be his sister. So I guess you could say that I still want to be just like my big brother.

***********
Jonathan, I wish that Peoria and Erie were a few hundred miles closer together so that we could celebrate your birthday together. I just want you to know that I'm celebrating here and thanking God for you.
Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Happy birthday, Jonathan! I currently hate you because you got me hooked on Lost, but I think I can overcome that enough to wish you well. :-D

I pray your birthday is a joyful day. I'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate, but I hope you can find some fun regardless. I'm very glad you are my brother, Jonathan, and that Jesus has given you another year of life. May it be wonderful year. I love you.

Gabrielle

Barb said...

G-you should THANK him for guiding you to the most entertaining show on TV!

J - I agree with A that you're cool. All "Lost" fans are. HB!

a pain in the back said...

I can only hope to post something half as nice for your birthday :)

Thanks.

And this is Jonathan, not Carrie.