Wednesday, April 26, 2006

For My Friend

Have you ever known one of those people that is always doing little thoughtful things for others that no one else might think to do? Usually this person has no idea of how much those little kind gestures mean to someone else. Well, I know someone like that. Her name is Barb.


Last night our church’s women’s group met at Barb’s house for our monthly gab session. Barb was so welcoming to all of us and she even had a vase of tulips sitting on her dining room table that lit up the room made us all feel more at home. During our prayer time I had mentioned how this last while has been difficult for me. After the meeting was over and just before everyone left Barb took all her tulips from the vase, wrapped them in some paper towels and handed them to me. When I got home that night I put my tulips in a mason jar and set them on my dining room table. I completely forgot about them as I dreamed my Adielish dreams. This morning when I went downstairs I entered into a field of chaos: unwashed dinner dishes from last night cluttered the kitchen, toys were strewn everywhere and baskets of unfolded laundry sat here and there. But the first thing that met my eyes was that mason jar full of tulips. The flowers’ simple beauty and their cheerful colors somehow told me that everything would be alright. Now, those flowers didn’t make my day a piece of cake. This has been a tough day for my little family, but every time I catch a glimpse of those tulips sitting so pretty on my table I can’t help but smile inside and think of my dear friend who loved me enough to give me her tulips.

Barb, I don’t know what I would do without you, your generosity and your great hugs. I’m so glad you’re my friend. I love you. Thank you for being you.



No comments: